Thursday, December 4, 2008

Emily

I wrote a lot of lists while I was in the hospital. It's one of the most perfect ways to pass the time when you've been locked up and there is no hope of escaping. I mean, I could have spent the time trying to crawl out of the window, but that didn't seem very productive, especially since I was on the sixth floor; so instead, I wrote lists.



Why I Like Being Named Emily



It sounds lovely on others' voices



I share it with Emily Bronte



Many people think it beautiful



And Why I Hate It



I am Emily due only to my father's utter inside-the-box-ness



It is a nauseatingly common name and its popularity seems to have robbed me of a certain uniqueness



Many people find it boring



...



It's all true.



I wrote a lot of other lists as well, but I have kind of a phobia about posting creative work on the Internet. I'm quite scared of people finding words and phrases and plopping them into the middle of their novels or something ... but seriously, the most interesting things grow in your brain when you're locked up. I came up with some enormously weird ideas.



(Of course, I didn't just come up with lists -- there were plays, stories, poems, and essays in there as well.)



I just figured this would make for a vaguely interesting post.



~Emily

No comments: